• Breaking News

    Sunday, April 11, 2021

    Rust The reasons cheating is blossoming right now in Rust

    Rust The reasons cheating is blossoming right now in Rust


    The reasons cheating is blossoming right now in Rust

    Posted: 11 Apr 2021 01:06 PM PDT

    I have been conducting some honeypots and other tests in-game, to detect cheaters. I also follow some of the top cheating discords and forums.

    Cheating is currently undergoing a renaissance in Rust. Cheating is being 'normalized' and is spreading throughout official servers like wildfire as the OTV newbies are becoming seasoned. Throughout the Rust community, cheats like ESP and aim scripts are no longer taboo like they used to be.

    Scripting is easy to fix by the developers and can be theoretically overcome by aim training. ESP is more insidious. It is difficult to detect and negates all stealth play, squad tactics and positioning.

    My playrust experience

    I have tested ESP honeypots on a couple /r/playrust servers and was sad to see how quickly I could find an ESPer. A typical honeypot is a wood/stone 1x1. I spawn in at a random time and load my hotbar with C4, rockets, or HQM. While remaining stationary, and creating no noise or activity, it will take about 5-30 minutes for a group of players to appear and begin circling the hut. Sadly, these are often some of the most active groups on the server.

    Other times, I have experienced incredibly suspicious behavior. A player shot me from 150m in darkness through 7 layers of tree branches, while I have been stationary. Players routinely pre-aim, or 'prefire', the top of ridges when I crest the ridge from >150m, despite having no knowledge that I was approaching. Stashes are dug up. Groups of players beeline across a monument to the location where I am hiding, passing by crates. A player read all the items on my hotbar to me while I was in bandit camp.

    So far, none of my reports have resulting in a ban on playrust, or rustafied. Admins have to very solid proof of cheating to ban players from official servers (after all, they bought the game, facepunch wants minimal false positives). This makes it very difficult since the admin must spend valuable time watching the player and 'catching them in the act'.

    The issues

    1. Victim shaming

    This is prolific in general chat and in /r/playrust subreddit. People who complain about cheaters receive the following responses:

    • "get gud"
    • "you can beat cheaters with practice, cheaters suck at the game"
    • "the person wasn't cheating, you are just bad"

    There is a culture in the Rust community that rewards winning at all costs, and shames people who are not good at the game.

    ----

    1. Cultural Normalization of cheating behavior

    Oftentimes, this mentality considers cheating to be a 'part of the game'.

    I have been denied clan applications for not running 'hardware kit', or 'mods'. Many clan members are influenced by seeing their friends cheat. Suddenly it doesn't seem as bad when everyone is doing it.

    There is also an attitude that cheating requires 'skill'. It is true that cheating is complex and can require alot of coding and effort to circumvent anticheat tools. However, it is not part of the game - and the classical philosophy is that you should adhere to the rules of the game.

    ----

    1. Cheats as a way to level the playing field, given that cheating is becoming ubiquitous

    Cheating is growing very very fast. The last few months have seen an explosion of new players joining the cheating discords. The skill level among the larger chad groups has reached insane levels. Whether through aim training or scripts, 200m ak double-headshots are now very typical. Popular players who absolutely crush with automatic weapons are noticeably poor with semi-automatics and bows.

    A lot of people have resorted to cheats to level the playing field. One of my best friends in game is doing it (posting on an alt so people don't identify him). I secretly reported my friend after I left his team, and he has yet to be banned.

    There is a general sentiment all around that cheating is becoming a core gameplay aspect of Rust and you *have to* download cheats to be competitive on official servers.

    ----

    1. Admins are overtaxed, players no longer reporting cheaters

    The amount of cheating is more than admins can handle. The knowledge that cheats are common, I suspect, is also causing an increase in reports. There are also many false positives to contend with, given that players are so accustomed to cheaters.

    Many players have experienced cheaters and watched those same cheaters continue playing. This discourages reporting, since it appears that admins do not care.

    I personally stopped reporting cheaters when I was new after a player clipped through a wall and killed me. I noticed he was not banned and continued harassing me for days. Of course, I am more experienced now and report cheaters. I think many other players have discontinued using the report tool out of sheer hopelessness.

    ---

    My rant is over. Let me know if you have seen the same thing. Feel free to flame away, "git gud" or whatever - I am pretty much immune to it at this point.

    EDIT: Already receiving downvotes to this post as I do some light editing. This is really a rant into the darkness I guess.

    submitted by /u/tokoxo6865
    [link] [comments]

    Map of the world

    Posted: 11 Apr 2021 03:51 AM PDT

    Six man clan tried to raid my solo base. They failed. Took them so long that eventually they got countered. Here is what I looted.

    Posted: 11 Apr 2021 02:54 PM PDT

    Im A Bee!

    Posted: 11 Apr 2021 08:27 PM PDT

    pablo escobar

    Posted: 11 Apr 2021 01:18 PM PDT

    Two guys gave me a guitar when I had nothing. I played it, they trusted me, I joined their team and logged off. I found this on my body today :)

    Posted: 11 Apr 2021 09:37 PM PDT

    Rusty Chainsaw

    Posted: 11 Apr 2021 10:48 AM PDT

    rough night out...

    Posted: 11 Apr 2021 04:04 PM PDT

    Average RUST AK-47 fan v average DB enjoyer

    Posted: 11 Apr 2021 08:32 PM PDT

    I made a meme about myself after this past wipe

    Posted: 11 Apr 2021 07:35 PM PDT

    Instead of a roaming Bradley APC on the road network do an armored convey

    Posted: 11 Apr 2021 04:27 PM PDT

    I remember reading about how Face punch wanted to have the Bradley roam around the road network but having a convoy of CROWS M-ATV's and MRAP's with an M939 Transport truck or Ural hauling maybe two locked crates and some military crates or elite crates sounds more interesting. It would be fun to see the convoy stop at monuments and have a squad of scientist disembark as well as one manning the 50 on the M-ATV and having players assault it. Even cooler would be the ability to ambush the convoy with HV rockets and land mines to get a one up on the Scientist. It would be interesting to see what new gameplay this would create as you would have an event constantly roaming around the map unlike the Bradley at Launch every encounter with this convoy will be different

    submitted by /u/TunRa
    [link] [comments]

    The Review can uncomparably be the best ever seen.

    Posted: 11 Apr 2021 12:03 PM PDT

    Made a prim shop selling bows and crossbows, got this much first day

    Posted: 11 Apr 2021 06:47 AM PDT

    Girls just wanna have fun..

    Posted: 11 Apr 2021 05:48 PM PDT

    ������

    Posted: 11 Apr 2021 01:56 PM PDT

    250m with rocket

    Posted: 11 Apr 2021 01:56 PM PDT

    lil cargo play :)

    Posted: 11 Apr 2021 08:10 AM PDT

    my boat went for its own adventure

    Posted: 11 Apr 2021 05:38 PM PDT

    Proximity chat is quite fun

    Posted: 11 Apr 2021 07:22 AM PDT

    Are there any servers that don’t require keycards for puzzles?

    Posted: 11 Apr 2021 09:19 PM PDT

    Hopefully something that's refreshing compared to the constant "PVP montage" videos. Let me know what you think!

    Posted: 11 Apr 2021 05:10 PM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel